How to remove 404 error? This post is related to our discussion about pagerank; Why some blog still PR0 or PR drop. The best way to remove 404 error is by using Google Webmaster Tools (I am not sure if there is any other way). Why do you get 404 errors for your site? Most probably because some of the pages had been removed or renamed by you. For WordPress users, you can use plugin to automatically redirect 301 for any permalinks changes (pages renamed), SBC is using Platinum SEO. With to many 404 errors, your Pagerank will drop because Google don’t like site with to many errors in it. For some of you who don’t receive any pagerank from the recent update, try remove them now and wish you can get a PR on the next update. Normally, the page with error 404 will come with a text “page cannot be found”.
How do you remove 404 error:
1. You need to register with Google Webmaster Tools.
2. You can find all your 404 error pages under “crawl errors”. Make sure you check the error pages before you delete them. Sometimes, it is just the case of permalink changes.
3. Copy the error link url and go to Webmaster removal tools. Click the “new removal request” and paste your link url.
4. Under reason, just put “Page has been removed or blocked from search engine”.
5. Make sure you click “For permanent removal, the page must return a 404/410, or be blocked from search engines”.
6. Submit request.
It will take some time for Google to remove the 404 errors, normally around 24 hours time. Go to Google webmaster again to check if your blog have anymore errors. I suggest remove any errors that related to any posts that had been deleted first before you go through any other pages.
Feel free to asked if you don’t understand and add new information related to this tutorial.